DESCRIPTION,DOSES,INDICATION AND DILUTION TECHNIQUE
- Ephedrine is indirectly acting sympatomimetic drug
- It stimulates both alpha and beta adrenergic receptors which causes increase in heart and increase in blood pressure respectively.
- Alpha receptor acts on blood vessels where as beta receptors acts on heart.
- Ephedrine raises systolic and diastolic blood pressure by vasoconstriction and cardiac stimulation.
- Ephedrine is available in the USA as a non prescription medicine for relief of breathing problems .It is rarely used because there are safer and more effective medications (eg.albuterol, pseudoepherine )
- CNS stimulation
- Cardiac stimulation
- Increase in blood pressure
- Stimulation of urine contraction
- Decrease in intestinal tone and motility
DOSE FOR THE HYPO TENSION DURING SPINAL ANESTHESIA
Ephedrine is the indicated drug for the treatment of the spinal hypotension
Initial dose: 5-10mg IV bolus (Must be diluted)
Administer bolus dose according to the need but dose should not exceed 50mg .
Each 5mL ampule contains 50mg
Make 50mg per 10mL by adding 5mL distilled water.
After dilution each mL=50mg/10mL= 5mg
Now lets make it 5mg/mL
Withdraw 5mL (50mg) Ephedrine in a 10cc syringe and add 5mL water for injection in it to make it 10mL
Now each mL contains : 50mg/10mL=5mg